Do you know what works when it comes to pitching podcasters? During this episode of Rhodes to Success, we break down how to pitch a podcaster. We’ll go through the step-by-step process so you can get a yes. If you are trying to get on podcasts, but people aren’t responding to you the way you would like, then this episode will be of huge value! #Rockthepodcast
Key Lessons Learned:
Transferable Canvasing Skills
- When you pitch, don’t be shy, and offer for the host to check out a sample of your previous podcast interviews.
- Keep your pitch short and simple.
- If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it will enough.
- Be direct about what you want, and always make the ask.
- Communicate with a podcaster in such a way that resonates with his or her personality.
- Podcasters don’t always answer emails the first time, so you have to follow-up
The Role of the Guest
- Don’t go on podcasts to advertise your business.
- Do go on the show as a guest expert to provide valuable content to the listeners.
- Remember, you are there as the guest and have to play by the host’s rules.
Ask to Pitch
- This is a new strategy that involves asking if it is okay to pitch a guest. An example is, “Are you open to a guest suggestion?”
- Asking to pitch is part of a larger strategy of building yesses.
- Requesting permission to pitch also puts the control back in the host’s hands.
Tips for the Pitch
- There is no one-size-fits-all.
- Link to the content you reference in your pitch.
- Avoid pitching podcasters in a way that is either a script, template, or isn’t personal.
- Just because your pitch didn’t work well with one podcaster doesn’t mean it won’t work well with a different podcaster.
How to Get Your Pitch in Front of Podcasters
- If possible, always opt to pitch a podcaster verbally.
- Remember, you can also use video to pitch.
A Non-response is Not a No
- If they don’t reply after the first email, follow-up.
Resources and links mentioned
- Maura Sweeney’s episode on Rhodes to Success
- Alex Barker (video pitch)
- Clean Water Action
- Bacon Wrapped Business
The music in today’s episode was written by The Danger Os and produced by Nick Palmer. Check them out at https://www.facebook.com/thedangerosmakemusic
Click to Tweet