On this episode of Rhodes to Success I interview Tom Schwab who has discovered a marketing strategy that converts traffic to leads at a rate of thirty percent. During the show Jessica and Tom discuss podcast guest best practices, how being interviewed as a podcast guest leads to results in business and why landing pages and making an offers are so important.
Main Questions Asked
- What made you decide to invest your time and services in getting booked as a podcast guest?
- Talk about the process of getting a listener to visit your site.
- When you are being interviewed as a guest on a podcast, what do you have to think about and say to actually get someone to want to go to your website?
- How should a landing page be set up to easily convert people onto a list?
- How long does it take before you start seeing results?
- What are your thoughts on getting someone’s first name during a list opt-in?
- What is the appropriate way to make an offer in a podcast?
Key Lessons Learned
- Content is king but context is God. You are what you publish.
- Content is what drives the modern marketing engine online.
- On average it takes 6-9 months to get traffic traction with a blog.
- All content is aimed at getting the audience to know, like, and trust you.
- Ensure you get the most out of your guest interview by creating a show transcript and repurposing it as multiple sources of content.
- Podcasts are a long term strategy and compounding effect
- During a podcast people get 30 minutes or more to hear you. They either love you and go to your site to learn more or they move on.
- The quality and quantity of context comes from listeners turning into visitors.
- Continually promoting the podcast on a consistent basis helps keep you top of mind with the host.
- Maintaining a good relationship with the host is the beginning of a long-term professional relationship and improves your chances of getting booked again.
- After the interview consistently share the podcast on socials and keep it in mind as a resource to share with others.
- When listeners visit your site looking for the offer you made on the podcast and average of 25-50% convert.
- The system needs to involve finding the right podcast, giving a clear message, providing an offer that drives the listener to your website then having a system that converts a visitor to a lead.
- During your podcast interview offer listeners something that gives them value, has context and is directly tied to what you are talking about.
- Direct listeners to a specific landing page and provide a specific giveaway in addition to an opt-in list.
- Ensure you include the logo from the podcast you were interviewed on to show the listeners that they are in the right place.
- Focus on getting ideal customers not just growing and email list.
Metrics & Results
- Results depend on the metrics used such as number of listeners, website visitors, emails received, and conversions.
- If you are getting heard on good quality podcasts and listeners are not coming to your site then you have to figure out where the ‘leaks’ in your system are.
- The reason listeners may not visit your site is that they don’t find value in visiting.
- If listeners are coming to your site but not opting-in then your landing page could be confusing.
- If people come to your site and opt-in but don’t become a customer then the problem may be in your nurturing sequence.
- Every day customers are voting with their dollars, time, and actions. If you are not getting the results you want then you have to figure out why.
- You don’t necessarily need a lot of traffic but rather the right traffic (target clients.)
- If you want to funnel down and segment customers from the beginning.
- Ask for feedback via open ended or optional questions e.g ‘what is your biggest frustration about the product or service?’
Making An Offer
- An offer shouldn’t feel like a pitch at the end.
- Reference the offer during the podcast so it doesn’t feel like a surprise.
- Make sure you offer two things and explain to the listeners where the offer is and what it is.
The music in today’s episode was written by The Danger Os and produced by Nick Palmer. Check them out at https://www.facebook.com/thedangerosmakemusic
Links to Resources Mentioned
Tom Schwab – Inbound Marketing (previous podcast)
Adam Hommey (previous podcast)
Click to Tweet