On this episode of Rhodes to Success I interview Donna Cravotta who is the CEO of Social Sage PR, which is a boutique media consultancy and home of the Total Social PR system. The unique social strategy is based on listening and engagement. Donna will share effective techniques to help you connect with your perfect audience online, build relationships and possibilities into business opportunity. During this episode Jessica and Donna discuss social media as a listening tool, outsourcing to a social media manager, engaging as an entrepreneur, and know your truth and who your future team is.
Main Questions Asked
- What do you do with your clients and Social Sage PR?
- Talk about outsourcing to a social media manager?
- Do you see people have someone internal doing social media marketing or have an expert take over?
- How do you help entrepreneurs engage in social media but not let it take over their lives?
Key Lessons Learned
Social Media As a Listening Tool
- Social media isn’t just about broadcasting it’s also about listening and connecting to people.
- When you learn how to listen you can connect to any audience you want such as potential and past clients, journalists, podcasters, strategic partners, and vendors.
- When you zero in and grow your community you can then branch out.
Social Media Manager
- There is no magic pill as social media isn’t about hacks. It takes time and work.
- Even though you outsource you still need to be there for the engagement.
- There is a lot of value in hiring someone who is already familiar with you and your brand.
- Be prepared to spend time and money.
- As you get more successful you spend more money so you have more time.
Engaging As an Entrepreneur
- Be selective with who you are listening too when it comes to taking advise.
- Be yourself online and not a sales machine.
- People want to know who they are doing business with and want to like you.
- Authenticity is key.
- Always present your social media in your voice even if a social media manager is pumping out the content.
Know Your Future Team
- When you start out as an entrepreneur you will probably have to fill all the roles.
- Know what roles you need to fill and what tasks the people in those roles need to do so when it comes time to hire you know who you are hiring and for what.
- When the pieces don’t fit you have an incongruent business.
Know Your Truth
- Write your truth on a post it note so when you start to get the head trash you read it.
- Jessica’s truth is: “If everything is running smoothly you aren’t growing fast enough.”
Do What Works
- Every audience is different so do more of what works and less of what doesn’t
- Forget the tech piece and how many times to tweet a day and just make sure to show you as yourself.
- Don’t get dragged down by the tactics. Do what works and ask yourself, “What is the fastest way to get there?”
The music in today’s episode was written by The Danger Os and produced by Nick Palmer. Check them out at https://www.facebook.com/thedangerosmakemusic
Links to Resources Mentioned
Click to Tweet