Margy has a fancy new title and Jess is free from her gym membership and committing to her yoga practice. Then, Jess and Margy interview one of our #RockThePodcast listeners, Amber De La Garza, who we met at Podcast Movement! Finally, stay tuned for our favorite segment: “Would You Rather… Listen To?”
Interview with Amber De La Garza:
How did you find #RockThePodcast?
- Amber was in her learning phase about how to be a great host and guest
- Googling these terms, she came across the show!
How many podcast do you listen to?
- Too many!!
- For some shows, Amber listens to every episode, and for other shows, she downloads only episodes that are specific to what she is currently learning for her business
- As a productivity specialist, Amber warns against information overload from too many podcasts
- Amber also categorizes her shows (she uses Stitcher for Android)
- Margy only subscribes to My Favorite Murder
- Jess has cut back the number of shows she subscribes to to limit info overload
When should entrepreneurs start their day and what is the ideal morning routine?
- Amber calls this “bookending your day”
- She recommends FOUR routines- so you can stay on track but still have the flexibility to address the unexpected
- The four routines are:
- personal morning routine
- professional morning routine (when you hit the office)
- evening routine (as you leave office)
- nighttime/personal bedtime routine
- Weave little habits into these four routines
- There is no RIGHT time for everyone to start the day; it depends on you, your natural routine and your lifestyle
Mindfulness practice suggests that multitasking is NOT the best way to approach tasks. How do you feel?
- Amber has strong beliefs about multitasking
- She used to take pride in her ability, and now realizes it’s a myth
- What we call multitasking is actually “switch tasking” and is very inefficient
- It can be an unconscious stress crutch and also disrespectful to people around you
Tell us about your systems for your show, Productivity Straight Talk.
- Amber has been launched for 3 months
- She stays a few episodes ahead
- Amber uses Trello to organize her show info
- Amber creates content and has her team/systems do the rest
Would you rather…LISTEN TO?!
- Hostile World: Exploring Our Universe OR Science Monkey
- Drugs and Stuff OR We Have Concerns
- Emotional Management OR The Self-Help Podcast
- Inglorious Pasterds OR Pray-As-You-Go
- What She Wants OR Tinder Tales
- Filthy Casuals OR No Time for Travel