You are starting (or already hosting!) your podcast and have a list of dream guests you want to interview. But what do you say to them in your email requesting them for an interview?
There is a simple and effective formula that we have mastered at Interview Connections to write the perfect interview request:
- The subject line should be personalized and to-the-point, like, “Interview request for <Guest Name>”
- Open the email with a personalized introduction so the recipient doesn’t think it’s a form email. Introduce yourself and say how you know them or what made you want to email them. For example. “I hope this email finds you well and Happy New Year! I’m Jessica, host of Rhodes to Success I just read your book <sample book title> and absolutely loved it! I’m writing to see if you’d be interested in coming on my podcast for an interview to talk about <topic of interview>.”
- Give 1-3 sentences telling them about you, your show and your audience, and add a bit about why they would be a great guest. For example, “I’m the founder of Interview Connections and my podcast is a weekly interview show featuring interviews with business experts who have valuable content to share with my listeners who are mostly online entrepreneurs, business coaches, and marketers. I know your expertise in <their expertise> would be super valuable to my listeners because <why?>.
- Tell them the logistical info and how to schedule. “My podcast interviews are just 30 minutes, recorded via Skype audio only calls. We can schedule at a time that is convenient for you. If it helps you can “click here” to use my online scheduler.
- End positively and confidently! “I look forward to chatting with you soon! Please let me know if you have any questions.”
Then, if you do not get a reply within 2-3 business days, simply follow up to see if they got your email.
I recommend asking the guest if they have a preferred bio/introduction or speaking topics but I believe it’s best for the host to write the interview questions.
If you still don’t want to request your own guests, let us do it for you!