On this episode of Rhodes to Success, I interview Carri Drzyzga, who is known internationally as the functional medicine doc and go-to expert on finding the root causes of health problems so you can feel normal again. Carri is a chiropractor, naturopathic doctor, host of The Functional Medicine Radio Show, and author of the hit book Reclaim Your Energy and Feel Normal Again. She is the creator of Entrepreneurial Fatigue: How to fuel your brain and body for entrepreneurial success. During the show, we discuss sleep, entrepreneurial fatigue, food and fatigue prevention, Carri’s Ultimate Smoothie recipe, and office strategies to get moving.
Main Questions Asked:
- Talk about the importance of sleep environment.
- What is entrepreneurial fatigue, and how do you know if you have it?
- What are some of the causes of entrepreneurial fatigue?
- What can we do to prevent entrepreneurial fatigue?
- Why is eating at our desk so problematic?
Key Lessons Learned:
The Importance of Sleep
- Even if you don’t have insomnia, you can still have sleep problems.
- It’s important to have your bedroom as dark as you can get it (as dark as a cave).
- The light in your bedroom stops your brain from producing the maximum amount of melatonin.
- If you can’t darken your room, then try using a sleep mask. You may not get more sleep, but the quality will be better.
- If you feel that you or your brain aren’t on point, then you are probably suffering with entrepreneurial fatigue.
- Rate your average energy from 0-10. If you aren’t at 8 or higher, then you are suffering from entrepreneurial fatigue.
Food and Fatigue Prevention
- Pay attention to taking care of the number one business asset, which is you. This means taking care of your health.
- Small things will have long-term impacts such as business, health, relationships.
Carri’s Ultimate Smoothie Recipe:
- Organic spinach
- ½ cup blueberries
- 1-2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1-2 Tbsp clarified butter
- 1-2 Tbsp nut or seed butter
- 1-2 Tbsp raw cacao powder
- 3 raw organic eggs (or 20-30g of whey isolate protein powder)
- Coconut water or milk
Exercise Get Moving
- Sitting for prolonged periods of time is worse than sitting.
- Interval training, which is short busts of exercise to get your heart rate up, move the body’s lymphatics, and get oxygen to your brain.
- Booking-in appointment times to perform 5-10 minutes of exercise during breaks is a great strategy.
- Great office exercise breaks include running in place, squats or lunges, commando crawls, and planking.
The music in today’s episode was written by The Danger Os and produced by Nick Palmer. Check them out at https://www.facebook.com/thedangerosmakemusic
Links to Resources Mentioned
How to make Ghee (Video)
Click to Tweet