On this episode of Rhodes to Success, I interview Michele Summers Colon, who is a physician, surgeon, yoga health coach, author, and overall health expert. Michele is known as the Holistic Podiatrist, and combines the best of Eastern and Western medicine to treat the whole patient and create individualized treatment plans, yoga sequences, and meal plans for her clients and patients. Michele is the creator of the Body Wisdom Coaching Program and believes food is medicine and that yoga, Ayurveda, and mediation are the keys to perfect health. During this episode, we discuss entrepreneur cycles, natural rhythms, breaking the cycle, setting your daily intentions, and how to get healthy again.
Main Questions Asked:
- At what point did you decide to expand your entrepreneurial ventures to include health and yoga coaching?
- How does being a holistic podiatrist set you apart from other podiatrists?
- Are you seeing entrepreneurs trying to fuel their bodies with unnatural treatments?
- What are the natural rhythms of the world?
- Talk about the ideal breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- What is your recommendation for turning your mind off at night so you can sleep?
- Talk about yoga and Ayurveda.
- What is the Body Wisdom Coaching Program?
Key Lessons Learned:
- Entrepreneurs often get into cycles where they need to use one drug to balance another, such as caffeine to wake up and other drugs to fall asleep.
- There is a shift in medicine where patients know what they want with regards to natural treatments.
- People in general stay up far too late and need to get back to the natural rhythms of the world.
- The natural rhythms involve the light, darkness, and eating at the right times of the day.
- People often eat too late, which means they stay up later and can’t sleep well due to their bodies still trying to digest food rater than spending time rejuvenating in order to have energy for the following day.
- If you eat at the right time, you will go to bed at the right time, and in turn wake up at the right time.
Breaking the Cycle
- Breakfast should provide energy, but not be too heavy.
- Lunch should be the biggest meal of the day and eaten between 12pm-2pm, when digestion is at its strongest.
- Dinner should be lighter and not include greasy foods, and be eaten before the sun goes down, or 7pm.
Set Your Daily Intention
- As soon as you wake up, take a couple of minutes to set your intention for the day.
- Keep your eyes closed and practice deep breathing.
- “Today my intention for the day is to_________.”
- Get a mental picture of how your day will run, and see it happen smoothly.
Go To Bed Earlier
- 10pm is the optimum time to go to sleep.
- Turn off all electronics and mind stimulus 1 hour before bed.
- In the last hour, set up a routine. E.g. Having a cup of hot tea, take a bath, or talk to your partner.
Getting Healthy Again
- For the majority of us, we were born healthy and knew when to go to sleep and eat.
- We need to get back to being healthy again.
Yoga and Ayurveda
- When starting yoga, it is all about breathing properly not necessarily about the complicated poses.
- Going to a class is best, but if you don’t have that option, check out a YouTube video.
The Body Wisdom Coaching Program
- This is for women entrepreneurs whose health has been put on the backburner.
- The program is for anyone who doesn’t have enough energy and isn’t feeling the best and is stuck in a rut.
- This is a 10-week program that goes through the process of changing one habit per week.
- The same 10 habits are for everyone, but each person starts in a different place.
- The first habit is “earlier, lighter dinner.”
The music in today’s episode was written by The Danger Os and produced by Nick Palmer. Check them out at https://www.facebook.com/thedangerosmakemusic
Links to Resources Mentioned
Click to Tweet