How do you make your podcast ‘look’ good? This episode of Rhodes to Success I’m joined by my Podcast Producers co-host Corey Coates. We discuss how to make your podcast look good through audio and show notes.
Main Questions Asked
- What makes a good show notes page and why should podcasters do show notes?
- What should be around the player and where should it be on the website?
- What are podcasters doing that make people not want to listen to them?
What Makes Your Podcast ‘Look’ Good
- Show notes.
- The interview format is still the most popular in podcasting but has the worst sounding audio.
- How can one have he ease of recording a Skype call but have a higher quality sound output?
- Show notes provide a higher value to the podcast listener.
- For a lot of podcasters it feels like an extra expense and they don’t know why they spend money on it.
- You need to tell a listener what they are getting themselves into, should they decide to listen to a show.
- Outbound links makes it easier for listeners to go back and find what has been referenced on the show.
- Some podcast players have time stamped key takeaways so listeners can advance to specific sections of the show.
- Show notes should be complimentary to the brand, the voicing, and serve the listener.
- Not everyone wants to listen to a podcast but they still want the content that is taught.
- Show notes shouldn’t just be a teaser, they should relay the content.
- If you change your attitude to show notes you can make them part of your content marketing strategy.
Ask the Listener
- Podcasting is an insular industry.
- Podcasters talk to each other frequently but often leaves the listener out of the conversation.
- Ask the listener what they want. Not each other.
- The industry is moving toward putting together surveys and focus groups to ask the listeners what they think and want.
- Podcasters are starting to survey those who don’t listen to podcasts in order to understand how the show notes can better serve them. .
- Never be ‘below the fold’.
- Your player should be on the front page at the top.
- Have a descriptive paragraph and embed the player followed by key takeaways.
- This needs to be highly visible for anyone who listens to podcasts.
- On your webpage add links to all the platforms for people to download and subscribe eg GooglePlay, Stitcher, iHeartRadio, and iTunes.
Why People Aren’t Listening to You
- In general podcasters think that people are interested in every little aspect of their lives. We aren’t.
- Shows are successful because the host is entertaining and talented.
Text ‘rock’ 72000
The music in today’s episode was written by The Danger Os and produced by Nick Palmer. Check them out at https://www.facebook.com/thedangerosmakemusic
Click to Tweet